Project Address: 2550 32nd Avenue West, Seattle 98199. Located in Seattle’s Magnolia Neighborhood.
Project Number: 3034348-EG
Developer/Applicant: Security Properties
Project Description: Security Properties is proposing a Living Building in the Magnolia Village. The proposal is to demolish an existing 18,511 square foot Albertsons grocery store, built in 1955, and replace it with a new 25,000 square foot Safeway grocery store. Designed for the Magnolia neighborhood, the mixed-use project will have 136 units of condominium housing above the grocery store. No additional retail is proposed.
The project is participating in the Living Building Pilot (LBP) program, one of the world’s most rigorous sustainable design standards. The building is seven stories high, which is compliant with the city of Seattle zoning code for LPB projects.
Distinct features of the project resulting from on-going community discussions include (and are not limited to):
- Parking garage access along 32nd Avenue West, not the alley
- Surface parking designed as a woonerf with18-stalls for ADA and short-term parking
- Woonerf parking stalls designed to be used for pop-ups and community festivals
- A public plaza with more than 3,500 square feet in lower and upper outdoor seating areas
- Biophilic landscaping for the public plaza, 32nd Avenue West streetscape, and alley terrace
- Public art integrated into the design that is inspired by Magnolia
- Commitment to using locally sourced and non-toxic building materials
- Ecological education component as part of the Living Building Challenge
- Greater diversity of housing by building new condominium homes
- Voluntary setbacks to reduce the massing along the alley
- Voluntary setbacks on the north and south property lines
- Smaller delivery trucks to service the new, urban Safeway store
- Support for a mid-block crosswalk from the public plaza to the park
Thanks to all who have provided comments during early community outreach, including the parking garage access survey on this site. More information is in the FAQ.
Security Properties is still in the entitlement phase of planning and due to social distancing requirements, the project is now under administrative review. You can still provide public comments through the Seattle Services Portal linked below. You will need to reference the project number which is 3034348-EG. We will keep this site updated with the project status for your convenience.
Process: To learn more about how to engage with design review, visit the Department of Neighborhood’s website. To track our progress through the City of Seattle’s design review and permitting process, search the project address: 2550 32nd Avenue West, or project number 3034348-EG in the Design Review Calendar and the Seattle Services Portal.